Who we are: MilliporeSigma is the North American life science brand of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany – a leading science and technology company. It offers a broad range of innovative products and services to biotech and pharmaceutical drug therapies businesses. Through dedicated collaboration with the scientific and engineering communities, and as one of the top three R&D investors in the life science tools industry, the brand serves as a strategic partner to customers and helps advance the promise of life science.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Associate Scientist II (AS II) will perform a wide variety of assays or tests required to characterize product or material safety.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
He/she will make scientific observations, maintain detailed workbooks/documentation and ensure all documentation fulfills generally accepted professional/industry standards. He/she will maintain an understanding of technological principles and applications of the organization’s services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for having a broad working knowledge of lab policies and assays
- Conducts pre-designed assays using basic laboratory techniques and skills
- Independently conducts assigned test procedures within constraints of lab scheduling
- Follows SOPs and relevant compliance regulations in regards to safety procedures, documentation, and scientific responsibility
- Independently analyzes data and interprets results
- Advises supervisor of factors that may affect quality and usefulness of data
- Contributes ideas and suggestions to improve standard laboratory techniques, protocols, processes and equipment
- Maintains thorough records as well as peer review of assay batch records
- Assists in training new staff members in performance of routine lab tasks
- Uses and maintains scientific equipment, instrumentation and computer systems
- Demonstrates consistently good communication and interpersonal skills with employees, management and clients (where applicable)
- Proficient in aseptic techniques
- Adheres to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 standard for laboratory testing as specified in applicable standard operating procedures or quality manual.
- Other duties as assigned
EXPANDED JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for all phases of the Bacterial Reverse Mutation Assay in a structured GLP environment
- Responsible for all Associate Scientist I responsibilities and tasks.
- Successfully complete study preparation, execution, and endpoint review.
- Successfully complete the technical review for the counted assays which includes reviewing all protocol criteria for a valid test.
- Successfully execute a test article weigh request and chain of custody report
- Demonstrate the technical knowledge and expertise to successfully setup or plate at least two full Ames Tests in one work day; plate incorporation and/or pre-incubation design
- Successfully count and record the results for at least two standard Ames Tests (≈600 plates) in one work day; including bacterial lawn and precipitate evaluation and computer entry of these results
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the assay system in order to trouble shoot both the possible plating and scoring issues
- Prepare a customized workbook for a specific protocol
- Demonstrate accurate GLP documentation of non-standard procedures
- Assist senior lab personnel in maintaining and ordering all lab supplies and reagents
- MA/MS in scientific discipline with no experience.
- BA/BS in scientific discipline with 0-2 years of experience.
- AA degree in scientific discipline with 1-3 years of experience.
- Or Equivalent scientific experience.
- Some working knowledge of a science laboratory
- Experience performing biological assays including, but not limited to, bacterial cell culture and aseptic technique
- Competent to adhere to applicable safety SOPs and follows applicable safe work practices.
- Experience analyzing data and interpreting results of a variety of assays including, but not limited to, Ames tests.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Possess good interpersonal skills and written/verbal communication skills
- Motivated and detail oriented with good organizational skills
- Possess the ability to multitask and work independently or in a team environment with minimum supervision
- Good computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets and database software applications, specifically MS Office (Word and Excel).
What we offer: Your possibilities to develop in our growing company are just as manifold as our product portfolio. We offer a modern and international working environment to unleash your innovative potential in diverse teams, and take responsibility for our employees, products, the environment and society.
Curious? Apply and find more information at come2emd.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she made a good faith report of discrimination.