Opportunités de carrière : PRISON SYSTEMS ADVISER San Salvador - Panama - Honduras (2562)
Identifiant de la demande 2562 - Publié 27/09/2017 - Protection / Droits de l’homme / DIH / Diplomatie humanitaire / Détention - Amérique - Honduras - Mobile
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The ICRC Regional Delegation for Mexico, Central America and Cuba has a structural, all-detainee approach in the missions of Honduras and El Salvador, with a view to eventually extending such work to other countries covered by the region. As part of such an approach, activities consist of supporting the responsible and pertinent authorities in improving both treatment of detainees as well as general conditions of detention, which are judged unsatisfactory. The main responsibilities of the Prison Systems Advisor are the following:
- Support the delegation and its missions in the development of strategies which integrate sustainable structural support within detention activities from the perspective of a prison manager
- Increase the relevance of the ICRC as a key actor in detention systems by contributing to confidence and capacity building with the prison authorities of the PoDs and in the regional context and the development of a constructive dialogue on all related issues
- Support the planning process of protection department in order to define mid-term and long-term strategic approaches as well as planning, supervision and evaluation of proposed pilot projects with the authorities;
- Focal point for all detention matters with prison authorities and related Ministries in coordination with HoM and Detention team. Participates in round tables/meetings, conferences with the authorities (MINJUS, MINHEALTH, etc) and coordination/exchange with key national and international entities (UN, EU, Embassies, etc) on activities envisaged in the field of prison reform;
- Networking with external actors (UN agencies, Embassies, regional organisations and civil society organisations) working or interested in detention related issues.
- Participates in discussions with the respective prison authority regarding strategic planning as defined in the Plans of Action elaborated together;
- Leads the review of new legislation or guidelines for the regulatory framework of the prison administrations when required and in cooperation with the other members of the DET team and JUR MEX.
- Responsible, together with the detention team leaders, for ensuring and compiling contributions from DET team in the elaboration of all internal and external documents, in coordination with the relevant mission:
- In order to obtain an accurate picture of the specificities of the respective prison environments, accompanies the protection team on selected prison visits;
- Develops and consolidates the network of interlocutors and stakeholders related to prison management, in close collaboration with detention team leader and HoM;
- Identifies and analyses problems, trends, and policies; actively proposes and develops strategies in close cooperation with the DET team, PROT MEX and missions, and prepares internal analytical reports (BfR, PfR);
- Proposes, participates and/or organises seminars or thematic workshops with prison authorities;
- Closely follows developments in specific areas of prison management, including budget, organisational charts, Human Resources and information management systems in PoDs
- Contributes actively to delegation documents, such as the PFR as well as the elaboration of the plans of action.
- Advises the HoM, CoProt and DET colleagues on approaches, issues and thematics in all detention areas and contributes to the definition of adequate ICRC response.
External and internal representation
- In coordination with the mission and the rest of the team, the delegate maintains direct dialogue with prison directors, ‘Consejos Tecnicos Regionales y Centrales’ and technical teams, and judicial authorities;
- Participates actively in internal meetings (briefing, debriefing, coordination meetings and other of relevance).
- Responsible for elaborating all NIVs and MoMs respective to visits/meetings in which s/he has participated;
- Contributes to MoR, BfR and PfR;
- Reports regularly all relevant and useful information to the detention team and the missions resulting from meetings or visits carried out;
- Contributes to external documents and interventions and responsible for correspondence with interlocutors
- Elaborates and updates regularly a stakeholder mapping (in collaboration with HoM and detention team) on both national (HON/SAL/PAN) as well as regional level.
Place of work
Based in San Salvador with frequent and regular presence in Honduras and Panamá in addition to occasional trips to the AoR of the Regional Delegation, when required.
Main skills required for the post
- Experience in and knowledge of prison operations, management and development
- Analytical, strategic planning and organizational skills
- Developed communication skills – coaching, facilitating, networking, reporting
- Capacity to develop realistic goals which relate to the reality of the context
- Responsibility and autonomy
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team
- Flexibility to adapt to given context
- Languages required: Spanish, English
- Languages that would be an asset : any other